The Background Director’s primary responsibility is to lead a team tasked with ensuring high-quality painted backgrounds make it from background design to animation through the duration of the series. The Background Director works closely with Art Direction and Environment design to understand the intention of background designs and show style. The Background Director directs the production of color keys and guides internal and overseas teams of background painters. This position reports to Art Direction and Producers.
- 1-2 years of experience managing a team of Background Artists.
- 2-3 years working as a background artist or environment designer.
- Capable of working independently while also being a proactive problem solver for the Background staff and department as a whole.
- Able to take direction well and receive notes in a productive manner, asking appropriate questions when necessary to ensure understanding of what a shot or file needs.
- Possess an intimate understanding of the production pipeline and how the Background department works in conjunction with other departments, both internal and overseas.
- Ability to communicate effectively and respectfully to the Background Artists as well as staff and directors in other departments.
- Must be able to switch between tasks at a moment’s notice.
- Must be dedicated to keeping the team motivated by supporting them and fostering a positive environment.
- Must possess superior organizational skills; must be able to effortlessly navigate the server, while also maintaining a breakdown, per episode, of where the department is, and how much longer it will take them to achieve their deadlines.
- Must be a proactive problem solver, able to create quick, constructive solutions.
- Capable of executing, at a high level, all of the skills required of a Background Artist.
- Maintain clear communication with Art Direction to make sure the vision of the episode remains clear while helping consult and inform proper direction and execution.
- Create 1-3 Background Color Keys for overseas background painters for each environment in the show.
- Work with the 3D Director and Environment Design Director to get the appropriate assets needed per episode.
- Review files before passing them on to another department as a finished product.
- Review and note background files as they come in from internal teams and overseas studios.
- Review first-pass cuts of episodes to make sure backgrounds are being properly used.
- Maintain and organize all files and assignments per episode using F Track.
- Check and approve employee hours for payroll.
- Find new talent to fill open positions within the Background Department and interview prospective candidates when applicable.
- Attend all appropriate meetings to stay current on changes and production needs.
- Attend all training provided to Management for managerial training and be accountable for the information provided within those trainings.
- Responsible for the Background department meeting all deadlines through proper planning and leadership.
- Provide the Background department staff with the proper resources, training, and support they need to meet expectations while completing a project.
- Create tools, templates, and Style Guides as necessary for the Background Department staff and work within an organized process.
- Work with Asset Manager to organize and utilize reusable assets.
- Occasionally meet outside of regular hours with outside animation studios.
- Must reside in GA or be willing to relocate.
- Must be able to provide authorization to work in the US.
- Must be able to provide proof of COVID vaccination and boosters.
Estimated start: End of November.
Salary range: $1,220-1,280 a week